Monday, January 26, 2015

Me and my phone -- who cares?


This may well be an extension of my desire for a website called ‘www.mindyourowndamnbusiness.com’ as I read that Monday is ‘keep your phone in your pocket’ day, Tuesday is ‘do not take any pictures day’, Wednesday is ‘play no games day’  and so forth as the addiction to phone usage surpasses on average 3 hours per day. I feel left out.  I use my phone for phone calls and utilitarian messages (not conversations), and I also use my computer for computer applications not my phone.


After years of taking some pride in keeping up with tech advances (I can web crawl), now I fear that I am on the wrong side of the digital divide. Twitter seems stupid to me.  Selfies are very contrived, and sports are beautiful on large screens not small. Recently my obviously Luddite tendencies are beginning to cost.  I cannot send a wireless signal from my phone (and Netflix) to my TV, but others my age can. I embrace anti-social media since I still send and expect emails to exchange thoughts.  I even prefer a long form Skype conversation to a text message exchange. I can connect my phone to Bluetooth devices (like the earpiece) but I choose not to since driving and talking makes no sense from a safety perspective. I still own and use a flip phone, but use my very large tablet all the time.  Tablets will never fit in pocket.

Now the new white board products, and the hologram headsets really seem attractive, and the experts point to the new trends in media as an ‘enabler of awareness’.  Great.  Now I am not just old, but stressed by social media all around me, and unawares. I connect no emotions to technological toys. I don’t need the latest fastest phone or app.  Can fossilization be next?

A late new year’s resolution will be selectively studying and learning some of these tech wonders (the Microsoft surface whiteboard looks like a winner) but it will not be social media related. I embrace my lack of too much awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment