Thursday, November 2, 2017

So you want to get involved (even a little) in politics?

Best of intentions, I went to a local political grassroots meeting last night. By background, I have been under the influence of a very good friend, and I have not counterarguement to political involvement.  So I have chosen simple issue -- getting people to vote, starting with the election next week which has historically low turnout.


Coincidentally a group of concerned citizens, also with the best of intentions, was having a meeting in my neighborhood.  I went. They spoke. I felt like a flux capacitor was involved.  With the best of intentions these folks, all motivated, were using a twentieth century toolkit -- yard signs, literature to hang on mailboxes, and telephone canvasing -- in an advocacy posture for their own (to each their own) single issue.  One sponsored a pair of local candidates; another spoke passionately about judgeships; a third wanted to add ACA enrollment deadlines; and most championed sitting at those tables at the polling places on election day.  They signed up for tasks, and then committed to make some phone calls on the spot (even though the world series was starting within the hour).The initiator informed everyone that they had a suggestion that the max time was 20 seconds, but they were not deterred.  Filled with alarmist motivation, they were going to phone and talk.


As you may no, I am not a spring chicken, but I seem to know that the phone call in the evening, or even the daytime is not going to work because of the clutter that has been dominating phone for a couple of decades.  I also know that broad targeting sells very few things, and that basic marketing requires careful targeting and careful tailoring of the message.  I know that a deft use of social media and email often gives better results.


But I do not know anything about politics.  I left the meeting feeling that these well meaning people did not either.  I went to the local brew pub to watch the World Series, and asked twenty people at the bar if they were voting on Tuesday.  Got five 'yes', three "no but I should"; three 'no'; and a bunch of waffeling. One lady was clever enough to ask if I would buy her a beer if she voted. Four days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment