Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Where did the Chinese hide China?


Six day trip to Beijing, with a pretty hard work schedule.  Have not been north of Shanghai for 17 years, and what I see is a shock – not the gentrification and terrific infrastructure, since I know the effort put in to ready the city for the Olympics.  China has disappeared from view. Even outside the Central Business District, you have to wander deep into the neighborhoods to find an outdoor barbeque or hoards  of street vendors.  I wanted to find a vegetable market, but I had too much work to do.  There are supermarkets now, and they are awful. I cannot help but think that the bureaucrats made one too many trips to Singapore about a dozen years ago and we a suffering the prophylactic result. I guess we should be happy that nobody in the town spits on the sidewalk anymore, but it is a welcome relief that everybody (men) still openly picks their nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment